|Donna makes it look prettier, but it still tasted amazing|
- Pre-heat oven to 160 C. Place water, butter and cocoa in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until butter has melted and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place flour, baking soda and sugar in a bowl, add the cocoa mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and whisk to combine. Divide mixture between 2 greased and lined 20 cm round cake tins, then bake for 40-45 min or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn out on wire racks to cool completely.
- For the Icing: place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 5-7 minutes until pale and creamy. Add the icing sugar and cocoa and beat for a further 5-7 minutes until light and fluffy.
- To assemble, slice off the round tops of each cake layer to produce 2 smooth, flat layers (don’t cut too much though). -Keep the off cuts to spread with the remaining icing so you can indulge before your guests arrive. Then cut each cake horizontally to produce four cakes. Place one layer on a plate, spread with a quater of the icing, and repeat with the remaining layers and icing.