On Monday my CWA group is baking cakes for the Big Cake Bake to raise funds for the Red Cross.
I was wondering what I should bake and then thought of my old faithful cake friend…the Super Easy Chocolate Cake.
It is made with buttermilk which I also use in my scones so whenever I make scones I also make this cake with the leftover buttermilk.
It is moist and tasty and best of all quick and easy. I often don’t bother with icing as it is yummy on its own but a basic chocolate icing or chocolate cream cheese icing works well.
Super Easy Chocolate Cake
|I won’t be winning any CWA prizes for this one but it will taste amazing|
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup buttermilk
125g butter, melted, cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm round cake pan. Line base with baking paper.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add sugar.
- In a separate jug combine buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Make a well in centre of flour mixture. Pour in buttermilk mixture. Beat on low speed until combined. Increase speed to high. Beat for 3 to 4 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
What have you been cooking this week?
1. Link up a recipe that you have posted recently.
2. Link up by clicking on the link below and pasting your post URL (not your blog’s URL)
3. Share some love by checking out the other links and leave a comment.
4.If you make other blogger’s recipe take a photo and post it in their facebook page (or yours and tag them).
5. Add the Weekend Cookbook button to your post/blog (it is on my sidebar).
|This was a double quantity|