I first discovered the amazing combination of sweet and salty together when an American friend gave me chocolate covered pretzels. It was love at first bite, and I was having them sent over to me for a while.
This slice brings back those memories for me. It is a delicious combination of salty sweet caramel and chocolate. The almonds also give it a delicious texture.
I have adapted this recipe from one I have been using in the Kate Bracks Cookbook “The Sweet Life”. It is one of five recipes I cooked for a Dessert Night I was hosting.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Salted Caramel Chocolate Slice
- ½ cup SR flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 60g butter, melted
- 2 cans of condensed milk
- 60g butter
- ⅓ cup golden syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons of sea salt flakes
- 50g slivered almonds, toasted
- 125g dark chocolate, chopped
- 30g butter
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 tablespoon of flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Grease and line a slice tin with baking paper (or use the Tupperware one and you won’t need paper.
- To make the base place all the dry ingredients in a small food processer and blitz to combine. Add the melted butter and blitz until all combined. Press into the tin with the back of a spoon (get some little people to help). Bake for 15 mins and then set aside to cool.
- Combine the condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted. Increase the heat so that you see bubble every now and then. Make sure you stir constantly for about 7-8 minutes. You should see the mixture thicken. Add the salt and then almonds and pour over the cooled base and pop it back in the oven for 10 mins.
- After the filling has cooled a little make the topping by putting the chocolate and butter into a bowl and melting in 30 second bursts in the microwave until it is all melted and combined. Pour over the filling and sprinkle with almonds and salt.
- Once it is cooled keep in the fridge until set and cut into small squares.